Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Old school movie

Found an old film I made in college during my final year. Shot and edited mostly on 16mm, transferred to VHS. I don't know what I was thinking when I made it. Very avant garde....

I used B&W film stock...color film stock. Most of the live action was shot on 16mm. Some very early digital stuff was shot on 3/4 in video (yeah that's old school stuff from the early 90's....before DV). It has a story, but what the hell was I thinking back then! It's kind of JACOB'S LADDER-ish. I remember utilizing a lot of special effects makeup techs who were my friends from the theatrical dept of the school. A lot of weird makeup and yes...being me...there is gore (not a lot). After watching it I remember when it was shown, most people sat there stunned and silent. Not to brag, but it did have an impact.

I;m not sure I could make anything like that now days. Gonna have to work on transferring it to digital so I can get it online...I'm not sure who the hell would want to see this!!!

4 comments:

  1. I want to see it!

    I'm still trying to find THE ROT, the movie we made together in high school. I used to have it here at work, but I don't know what happened to it. Hopefully it's not lost forever!

    I also have the giant insect movie you made to get into film school that I acted in somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...."giant insect movie" OMG! I think I have that around here as well!! Yeah, that got me into film school...thanks for the bit part that you and a couple others had!! If memory serves me right you guys were fleeing from a giant ant that was in a tree. Of course said ant was some pretty shoddy CGI....hey that was back in what '89 or something like that so it looked OK at the time!!! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "RADIOACTIVE FREAKS FROM UP NORTH"...that was the tittle....how the hell did I just remember that! Of course UP NORTH being Up North Wisconsin HA HA HA!
    Yeah...my five minute tribute to 50's drive in monster movies!! Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was me, Mercy Carr (who I still talk to all the time on FB) and Russ Steffan. We shot at my friend's farm house in West Bend... in the middle of freakin' winter!

    Our friends actually still live in that house, and I'd love to go back and shoot something else there someday! Great location!

    ReplyDelete